- Tax Return Transcripts show most line items from your federal tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. In many cases, a Tax Return Transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans.
- Tax Account Transcripts provide any adjustments either you or the IRS made after you filed your return.
- Records of Account Transcripts combine the information from tax returns and tax account transcripts.
- Wage and Income Transcripts show data from information returns such as W-2s, 1099s, and 1098s reported to the IRS in recent years. However, the most recent year information may not be complete until July.
- Verification of Non-filing Letters provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed return for the year you requested.
In order to obtain the online information outlined above, the first step is to register on the IRS website. Before you register, please have the following handy:
- One of your financial account numbers. It can be from a credit card, a mortgage/home equity loan, or an auto loan. This soft inquiry will appear on your credit report, but will not impact your credit score. If you have placed a credit security freeze with Equifax, you will need to remove it before continuing.
- Have a US-based mobile phone to receive text messages. The mobile phone account must be associated with your name. This service will not work on landlines, Google Voice, or similar virtual phones.
- A readily available email address.
To begin registration, click here – IRS Get Transcript Online
Step 1 Provide your name and email address to receive a confirmation code to continue.
Step 2 Retrieve your confirmation code from your email box. Do not close the IRS sign-up page until your registration is complete; otherwise, you will need to request another confirmation code.
Step 3 Once the confirmation code has been successfully entered and verified, you will be asked to enter your personal information. Please note that your information must match your most recently filed tax return in order to proceed.
Step 4 On the next screen, you will provide some financial account information for further verification.
Step 5 After your identity has been successfully validated, you will enter your mobile phone number to receive a six-digit activation code via text message.
Step 6 Enter the activation code, create a username and password, create a site phrase, and select a site image. You will be directed to a dashboard with a listing of your prior year’s transcripts available to download.
When finished; please be sure to close your browser completely to protect your personal information. If at any point you cannot validate your identity, you will be directed to use Get Transcript by Mail. The requested transcript will be mailed to the address on record within 5 to 10 business days.
We are available to assist in obtaining IRS Transcripts by mail only. If you have any questions regarding the above information, please do not hesitate to contact us.